How to Connect Router to Xfinity Modem: Orbi System Setup
Have you got your hands on the mesh system by Netgear? Well, Netgear Orbi is one of the best mesh systems that help you get WiFi in all the parts of the home. Orbi mesh system consists of a router that connects to the modem. Are you wondering if you can connect router with Xfinity modem? This post will help you to clear out your confusion. Keep reading further and learn more about the connection process.
Can I Connect Orbi Router with Xfinity Modem?
Yes, of course, an Orbi router can surely connect to the Xfinity modem. Both Orbi and Xfinity are compatible devices. But we want you to know that the Xfinity modem has a combined capability of modem and router. But an Orbi has its own router, so you got to turn off its router capability and use it only as a modem. To get the job executed, you ought to use your modem in bridge mode. Let us now help you with the instructions on how to change the modem on the Xfinity modem.
How to Enable Bridge Mode on Xfinity Modem?
- Begin with the verification of the connection to the modem. Make very sure that the power supply to it is consistent. Also, see that its internet connection is well in place.
- Connect your computer to the modem’s network. Put to use a LAN cable to make the connection.
- Run an internet browser now and type 10.0.0.1 in the URL field.
- Hitting the Enter key will take you to the login page.
- Key in the admin login credentials i.e. the username and password in the given fields and click Login. The default username is admin and the default password is password.
- Select Gateway in the left panel.
- Next, select At a Glance.
- Find the Bridge Mode tab and toggle the button to Enable.
- Click OK and save the settings.
Your Xfinity modem is now changed to the Bridge mode. Its router settings are disabled. You can go ahead and connect router to Xfinity modem now.
How to Connect Orbi Router to Xfinity Modem?
Let us now set up the Orbi system with the Xfinity modem that is running in the Bridge mode. Use these steps and complete the connection to set up the Netgear Orbi system:
- Place the Orbi router next to the modem. Keeping the devices close to each other is necessary while connecting them.
- Run an Ethernet cable from the Orbi router to the modem. Make a solid connection to avoid any issues during the setup process.
- Now, connect your PC to the Orbi’s network. Use the default SSID to join the network. You can choose to make a LAN connection to prevent the signal from dropping.
- Upon connecting to the Orbi’s network, you will have the Orbi setup page opened by default.
- If the setup page does not open up, then you need to use the URL orbilogin.net or IP 192.168.1.1 to go to the setup page.
- Follow all the setup instructions to complete the installation process.
Netgear Orbi setup is now completed. Sync the Orbi satellite and complete the configuration. Let us tell you that you can also use the Netgear Orbi app to get this entire job done. Place all the Orbi devices in various parts of the home wherever you wish to receive internet signals.
Can’t Turn Bridge Mode on Xfinity Modem?
There’s a possibility that you can enable bridge mode on your modem. There are a couple more options that you can consider in that scenario.
- First of all, turn off the WiFi radio on the modem. Configure the modem’s DMZ for the IP that Orbi receives from the modem. Now, use the Orbi in router mode.
- The second option is to connect the Orbi router to Xfinity modem using a LAN cable. Turn off the WiFi radio on modem. Use the Orbi in Access Point now. You can change the mode on Orbi by accessing its settings.
Let’s Wrap It Up
This way you can connect router to Xfinity modem. Your Netgear Orbi system is now ready to be used. Use any of the options from the post as per your requirements. You can now connect various devices in your home to Orbi’s WiFi.